[tomoyo-users-en 227] Re: Lifetime of Tomoyo 1.x releases

アーカイブの一覧に戻る
Tetsuo Handa from-****@I-lov*****
Tue Nov 2 15:31:50 JST 2010

Hello.

Jamie Nguyen wrote:
> Many thanks for such an excellent project and the extensive user
> documentation. I'm having particular fun using Tomoyo to look at what various
> applications get up to behind the scenes.

Thank you for using TOMOYO.

> It would appear that there will be a break in policy compatibility in the 1.8
> release.

Yes. I release it as 1.8 rather than 1.7.3 because I decided to change policy
syntax and permissions to check.

>          Researching a little into the release history reveals a grace period
> of at least a few months where 1.6.x was still maintained following the
> release of 1.7 .

1.6 is still maintained and binary packages are still provided as well as 1.7.

Only difference between 1.6 and 1.7 is that 1.6 supports up to Linux 2.6.31
whereas 1.7 supports up to Linux 2.6.37.

>                  Does the project plan on continuing with such a grace period
> between compatibility breaking releases and for how long would each grace
> period be expected to last?

I will continue supporting 1.7 after releasing 1.8. But I don't have predefined
grace period. I want to continue supporting 1.7 as long as someone needs 1.7.

> I'm also keen on seeing how 2.x develops and eagerly await the day that it
> reaches feature parity with the 1.x releases. Does the project have a rough
> target timeframe in which to achieve this goal?

That depends on how smoothly discussions and reviews on LSM-ML go.
After I release TOMOYO 1.8 on November 11th, I will start making changes
towards TOMOYO 2.4 (which is based on TOMOYO 1.8).

You can consult AKARI ( http://akari.sourceforge.jp/ ) because AKARI is based
on TOMOYO 1.8 and AKARI implements all features which can be implemented using
currently available LSM hooks.

Regards.