Open Date: 2012-05-15 13:08
Last Update: 2012-05-15 13:08
use XDG dirs instead of HOME
Ticket History - 3/4 Histories [Show all old Histories]
2012-12-08 20:54 Updated by: None
2012-05-15 13:08 Updated by: mccann
2012-12-08 20:56 Updated by: None
What is planned now about FreeDesktop XDG basedir specification for Eclipse?
2013-01-05 18:21 Updated by: eheintzmann
What is planned now about FreeDesktop XDG basedir specification for Anthy(sorry for the typo)?
According to XDG Base directory specification, Anthy should not have its own folder (~/anthy) anymore User data should go into $XDG_DATA_HOME (which default to ~/.local/share), user preferences should go into $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (which default to ~/.config) and cached data should go to $XDG_CACHE_HOME (which default to ~/.cache). More details at : http://ploum.net/post/207-modify-your-application-to-use-xdg-folders https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/XDGConfigFolders
Full specification can be found at: http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/
The Freedesktop.org XDG base directory specification have good de facto adoption. It has been adopted by:
- XFCE ( http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/advanced in Files and Environment Variables )
- GStreamer ( https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=518597 )
- many more upstream applications
- Debian ( http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libxdg-basedir1 )
- Red Hat
- many more distributions
I think that Anthy should use same locations than the vast majority of Desktop environment and applications.
There are real advantages of following this specification :
- a lot less cluttered $HOME
- Make backups a lot more safer and easier.
Backuping your $XDG_DATA_HOME along with your files is enough (or just excluding $XDG_CACHE_HOME)
- A lot easier to reset a default configuration if you want/need it (and
without any risk to loose informations). Even for the software itself could choose to reset $XDG_CONFIG_HOME if needed.
- Avoid some strange bugs that happens because you had a old version of
some configuration file
- A lot more of flexibility and portability because no path are hardcoded.
Add Comment/Update #28397 (use XDG dirs instead of HOME)